City reentry into the County

A catch-all forum for urban discussion. If it doesn't fit elsewhere, post here.
MarkHaversham
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1042
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:33 pm

Re: City reentry into the County

Unread post by MarkHaversham » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:27 pm

STLEnginerd wrote:My thinking is that a compromise involving some kind of protections for the minority party in county government might dampen the opposition. Not sure how it could be structured. Maybe a strong separation of powers where geographic bailiages control certain aspect of county governance (like a strong burroughs system). Economic tax incentives need to be controlled at the county level, but some significant things could be administered by bailiages.

Maybe the county could be governed by a council elected by some kind of geographical districts.
STLEnginerd wrote:The one thing that troubles me is the undercurrent among city resident posters who seem ready to pass on re-entry because the see the city as being generally improving. That seems incredibly short sighted to me. SO many county decisions have significant impact on the city.

That's frustrating because it's basically the same wrong argument the county residents are making against re-entry (that re-entry is about the county subsidizing municipalities). Re-entry is needed to provide a more unified government structure for regional issues.


imperialmog
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 531
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: City reentry into the County

Unread post by imperialmog » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:42 pm

Interesting is bringing up the partisian divide issues. Could one way to address this is make county government non partisan in elections? Since in many local governments party labels don't exist.

And something like a boroughs system that is employed elsewhere would seem to be a good model for adoption here. Where there is some local control, but it would be more consolidated and organized than most municipalities as they exist now and part of the structure of a larger city government. It could also be a way to long-term as a mechanism for admitting new boroughs from neighboring counties are part of the structure.

But that is more of a next phase and beyond the part of readmittance of city into county. It just seems like a lot of the debate is talking about different things in the political discussion.

STLrainbow
Super Member
Super Member
Posts: 927
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:22 am

Re: City reentry into the County

Unread post by STLrainbow » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:00 pm

MarkHaversham wrote:Maybe the county could be governed by a council elected by some kind of geographical districts.
STLEnginerd wrote:The one thing that troubles me is the undercurrent among city resident posters who seem ready to pass on re-entry because the see the city as being generally improving. That seems incredibly short sighted to me. SO many county decisions have significant impact on the city.

That's frustrating because it's basically the same wrong argument the county residents are making against re-entry (that re-entry is about the county subsidizing municipalities). Re-entry is needed to provide a more unified government structure for regional issues.


Regarding the first comment, I believe that is what is done now but not sure if the districts always keep incorporated municipalities intact or not. Regarding the second comment, I'm for re-entry (absent some landmine that may be out there like not being able to assess earnings tax or the like) but I think the bottom line benefits will be rather limited. Hopefully we get to find out and I'm wrong.

User avatar
quincunx
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 3529
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:45 pm
Location: St Louis

Re: City reentry into the County

Unread post by quincunx » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:45 pm

StlToday - Chesterfield residents criticize council vote against St. Louis city rejoining the county

A pair of residents took issue Wednesday with their City Council’s vote last month to officially oppose unification of the city of St. Louis and St. Louis County.

Jake Hollander, a Chesterfield resident is executive director of St. Louis Strong, a non-profit group advocating unification of St. Louis city with St. Louis County. He told Council members and Mayor Bob Nation on Wednesday night: “Your shortsighted political resolution fails to recognize that your interests are intertwined with those of your neighbors.”


http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt ... b085f.html

joelo
Full Member
Full Member
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:51 pm

Re: City reentry into the County

Unread post by joelo » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:42 am

Mayor Bob Nation contended that the resolution the Council approved “reflected insight and knowledge beyond what you (Hollander and Greenbaum) may imagine — this was not an empty political statement, and the council had good reasons to vote the way they did.”


Oh please it was for partisan reasons nothing more, nothing less. I can't stand that guy


hebeters2
Full Member
Full Member
Posts: 264
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:14 pm

Re: City reentry into the County

Unread post by hebeters2 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:01 pm

The Real Reason Your City Has No Money
http://www.strongtowns.org/journal/2017 ... s-no-money

robertn42
Full Member
Full Member
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:55 pm
Location: St Louis Hills/Downtown

Re: City reentry into the County

Unread post by robertn42 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:31 pm

joelo wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:42 am
Mayor Bob Nation contended that the resolution the Council approved “reflected insight and knowledge beyond what you (Hollander and Greenbaum) may imagine — this was not an empty political statement, and the council had good reasons to vote the way they did.”
Oh please it was for partisan reasons nothing more, nothing less. I can't stand that guy
Exactly. Complete BS. it's just a matter of time before the antiquated voice of the Bob Nation's of our region is replaced by the more progressive voice of the next generation.

MarkHaversham
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1042
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:33 pm

Re: City reentry into the County

Unread post by MarkHaversham » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:17 pm

Look, you're just not privy to all the findings of the Chesterfield intelligence agencies.

urban_dilettante
Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted
Posts: 1606
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:46 am

Re: City reentry into the County

Unread post by urban_dilettante » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:32 am

Mayor Bob Nation contended that the resolution the Council approved “reflected insight and knowledge beyond what you (Hollander and Greenbaum) may imagine — this was not an empty political statement, and the council had good reasons to vote the way they did.”
so, logically, the PD is going to ask him to elaborate on "insight and knowledge"... right? isn't that what newspapers do?

User avatar
Alex Ihnen
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 10605
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:44 am
Contact:

Re: City reentry into the County

Unread post by Alex Ihnen » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:07 am

^ Yes, and I have heard the argument of similar concerns in the city regarding minority votes. The city is 45/45 white/black. The city being part of the county would drop the black voter percentage to maybe 25.
A cynic is not merely one who reads bitter lessons from the past, but one who is prematurely disappointed in the future.

User avatar
gary kreie
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 2387
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:55 am
Contact:

Re: City reentry into the County

Unread post by gary kreie » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:30 pm

Nice interview with Jake Hollander, founder of STLStrong.

http://insidestl.com/head-of-st-louis-n ... on/1984951
St.ay St.range St.louis

User avatar
goat314
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 2550
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:41 pm

Re: City reentry into the County

Unread post by goat314 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:42 pm

Alex Ihnen wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:07 am
^ Yes, and I have heard the argument of similar concerns in the city regarding minority votes. The city is 45/45 white/black. The city being part of the county would drop the black voter percentage to maybe 25.
Actually it would be closer to one-third.

MarkHaversham
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1042
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:33 pm

Re: City reentry into the County

Unread post by MarkHaversham » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:56 pm

Aren't we just talking about the county executive, that the city currently has no say in at all?

User avatar
Alex Ihnen
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 10605
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:44 am
Contact:

Re: City reentry into the County

Unread post by Alex Ihnen » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:18 pm

goat314 wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:42 pm
Alex Ihnen wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:07 am
^ Yes, and I have heard the argument of similar concerns in the city regarding minority votes. The city is 45/45 white/black. The city being part of the county would drop the black voter percentage to maybe 25.
Actually it would be closer to one-third.
County = 241,000 black residents of 1M
City = 148,000 black residents of 316K

So... 389K of 1.316M = 29.6

But then considering registered voters, it's going to be lower than that.
A cynic is not merely one who reads bitter lessons from the past, but one who is prematurely disappointed in the future.


Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 4 guests