urbanSTL Forum

Retail, Restaurant, and Business Developments

The Dollar Store

Discuss new retail, dining, grocery, business relocation, etc. within the city of St. Louis.

by warwickland » Thu May 03, 2012 8:02 pm

The more of a "normalized" grain of retail we can have downtown, the better...with the bonus overlay of local businesses.
DRINK SCHLAFLY - BREW ST. LOUIS JOBS
warwickland

by newstl2020 » Thu May 03, 2012 8:17 pm

As posts got deleted, I will re-post from yesterday.

Kevin stated this would likely be in the area of 10-12K sq ft. Nothing to sneeze at. Will be great to have this chunk of space off the market. Always good to see retail vacancy rates decrease.

(Also, good to have you on the forum, Kevin. Please keep up the contributions, the insights are greatly appreciated.)
newstl2020
Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted

Location: Past Tower Grove South Resident - Future Soulard Resident

by kbshapiro » Thu May 03, 2012 9:05 pm

My pleasure. Anytime anyone has a question about retail, please feel free to ask.

Correct, the store will be a normal sized dollar store. As soon as the lease is finalized, I'll let you all know. The other big deal I've been discussing will be public within a week or so.

Why were the threads deleted???
kbshapiro

by newstl2020 » Thu May 03, 2012 9:33 pm

^I believe Innov8ion said something about a forum update. Couldn't recover Wednesday's posts.
newstl2020
Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted

Location: Past Tower Grove South Resident - Future Soulard Resident

by midcoaststl » Mon May 14, 2012 10:11 am

kbshapiro wrote:First national restaurant chain to locate downtown in a while. I'm thinking the last one to be maybe Hooters. Also, its not Olive Garden or any restaurant located anywhere in St. Louis Meto Area.

Yes, lot at the NE corner of Wash Ave and 18th. Some lot owners will sell, some hold. Depends on the owner. Depends on where the lot is

Flying Saucer in Cupples Station?
midcoaststl

by stlien » Mon May 14, 2012 2:19 pm

I forgot my earlier reply was deleted. 10k sq ft would be huge for a downtown dollar store. Im thinking the Park Pacific garage.
stlien

by Alex Ihnen » Mon May 14, 2012 10:30 pm

Not to get back on Dollar Store bashing at all, but the Park Pacific was marketing as relatively high-end apts, I doubt that tenants would love to see a Dollar Store go into the parking garage, but who knows.
A cynic is not merely one who reads bitter lessons from the past, he is one who is prematurely disappointed in the future.
Alex Ihnen
Life Member
Life Member

by dredger » Mon May 14, 2012 11:09 pm

^ maybe not, but I'm sure a few starving SLU law school students might see this as a big plus in the near future.

I can't help notice how many Dollar Stores have popped up after Katrina going back and forth to a project I have in Plaquemines Parish, Louisiana. They are literally becoming the all in one mini marts/grocery store/pharmacy and everything in between for the little communities down Hwy 23. In a lot of respects they are better organized, cleaner and carry more stuff/better selection than some of the old mom and pop stores I run across in my travels.
dredger
Life Member
Life Member

by Alex Ihnen » Tue May 15, 2012 9:25 am

^ So perhaps I'm not as familiar with Dollar Stores - though I've shopped in my fair share - but, grocery store? pharmacy? I don't think so, not from what I've seen.
A cynic is not merely one who reads bitter lessons from the past, he is one who is prematurely disappointed in the future.
Alex Ihnen
Life Member
Life Member

by debaliviere » Tue May 15, 2012 9:52 am

Alex Ihnen wrote:^ So perhaps I'm not as familiar with Dollar Stores - though I've shopped in my fair share - but, grocery store? pharmacy? I don't think so, not from what I've seen.

I think it varies depending on the chain. Some are closer to lower-end, but full-service, retailers, while others are more like the "everything's a dollar"-type stores.

Family Dollar and Dollar General do offer groceries. I don't believe Dollar Tree does.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

--Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Follow me on Twitter: @downtownstlbiz
Visit my Downtown Business/Real Estate Blog
debaliviere
Administrator
Administrator

by downtown2007 » Sun May 20, 2012 7:26 pm

I still don't think downtown and a Dollar Store are a good match. A drug store like a Walgreens or CVS would be a better fit.
downtown2007
Life Member
Life Member

by kbshapiro » Sun May 20, 2012 9:00 pm

Couple things to think about....

A) both major pharmacy chains (for now), want nothing to do with downtown St. Louis

B) outside of pharmacy related products (which Culinaria carries), what's the difference between Dollar Tree/ Family Dollar/ Dollar General and Walgreens /CVS??

C) why say negative things/ not support a national retailer than wants to come to downtown St. Louis which brings Jobs/investment, blah blah blah???

D) have you thought of the positive repercussions of a Dollar Store succeeding in downtown St. Louis???

E) MOST IMPORTANTLY...CVS/WGs job is to make money for shareholders, if they felt they could make money downtown, they'd be here. So support everyone you can until you get the retailers you want.

Going to bed, good night,

Kevin
kbshapiro

by irocktheparty2000 » Mon May 21, 2012 12:55 am

It's all about perception. Even though these dollar stores are starting to pop up in more affluent areas, the perception still associates them with neighborhoods that have a struggling economic class. You just don't think of a dollar store being in or around a development that sells high-end condos/lofts. It seems a lot of people on this thread are in support of a dollar type store coming downtown. I wonder if that thought would change if the store were in the bottom of their own building?

I'm still formulating an opinion but it would probably just have to be experienced to see the true outcome of what it might do to/for the area. And more specifically, what impact it might have on a specific building that has residential condos/lofts above it. It has the potential to be positive but equally has the potential to be negative. Take the Robert's Tower for example. If that would have been finished with high dollar condos, you think a dollar store would have further enhanced that development or even the area? I think not in a million years. In fact, they would have probably lost a lot of potential buyers had that happened. But a dollar store closer to, or on Broadway located deeper into the CBD, then my answer would probably be more to the positive side.
irocktheparty2000

by pat » Mon May 21, 2012 7:59 am

Its just one dollar store. The fate of the Downtown economy will not be made or broken by this store.

Put it in and see what happens.
Last edited by pat on Mon May 21, 2012 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
pat

by debaliviere » Mon May 21, 2012 9:20 am

kbshapiro wrote:E) MOST IMPORTANTLY...CVS/WGs job is to make money for shareholders, if they felt they could make money downtown, they'd be here. So support everyone you can until you get the retailers you want.

I don't know why they feel they can't. I've visited downtowns similar to ours in which there are multiple CVS and Walgreens stores, and not too long ago we had two Walgreens here in downtown STL. It seems to me that there's money to be made by whichever one wants to step up and build a store first.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

--Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Follow me on Twitter: @downtownstlbiz
Visit my Downtown Business/Real Estate Blog
debaliviere
Administrator
Administrator

PreviousNext